Community Garden

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Chicks with Guns

"Chicks with Guns" by Lindsay McCrum
I learned how to shoot in high school as every school girl from Taiwan at that time had to. Then I was invited to join the high school shooting team since I was a good shooter and not afraid of guns. I was eventually kicked off the team due to my deteriorating eyesight (nearsightedness). But my fond of guns never really went away. A few years ago when my church held an outing for gun range, I made sure that both of my children (son and daughter) learned gun safety and how to shoot.

This week I leaned that 15 to 20 millions women in the US own guns in the book titled "Chicks with Guns" by Lindsay McCrum.


I was mesmerized by all these beautiful women with their guns (they are very tastefully done) and amazed at the diversity and variety of women this book presented. I don't know how I feel about all the animal trophies hanging on the wall, though. I am also still wrestling with the mother holding her baby and her gun.

Guns so many time symbolize violence and seem incompatible with Christian faith which calls for non-violence and peace. I had an animated discussion with several mothers and a gun enthusiast at church. But the discussion left everyone unsatisfied.


Guns and women seem to bring out yet another level of "uncomfortableness". Women supposed to be soft, gentle, smell like flowers, and nice....totally incompatible with cold, hard, merciless guns?? Oh, did I mention that I am wrestling with motherhood and guns??


Now look at the pictures and ask yourself: how do I feel? and why do I feel this way?

No comments:

Post a Comment