Community Garden

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Who Am I? Who are you?

Came cross this quote from Thomas Merton this morning, stopped me cold in my track:

If you want to identify me, 
ask me 
not where I live, 
or what I like to eat, 
or how I comb my hair, 
but ask me what I think I am living for, in detail, 
and ask me what I think is keeping me from living fully for the thing I want to live for. 
Between these two answers you can determine the identity of any person.   

How would you answer these two questions? 
Read more about Thomas Merton here

2 comments:

  1. What I think I am living for, in detail?

    I think (!!!) I am living for my Friends, God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit, and the friendships between Them and me. Through living my personal life, marriage life, family life, work life, church life, I am surrendering myself to Their ways of making me compatible to Them and the sinless new Heaven and new Earth with all the holy angels and other saints, former sinners saved by grace of God through faith in Jesus and receiving of the Holy Spirit.

    What I think is keeping me from living fully for the thing I want to live for?

    I think they are my bad mental, physical, moral, and cultural habits besides knowledge that is inconsistent with the teaching of God in the Bible plus the schemes of Satan, his angelic followers, and people under their influences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what did your answers say about your identity? about who you are?

    ReplyDelete